Housing Virginia is a broad based, statewide partnership of public and private organizations and committed individuals. We believe that all Virginians should have access to high quality, affordable housing in suitable locations. Housing Virginia:
- Promotes a positive image of affordable housing.
- Demonstrates the need for affordable housing throughout Virginia.
- Supports the work of local and regional housing networks to educate, communicate and advocate for affordable housing.
Influences public policy and planning to enhance the supply and quality of affordable housing.
- Encourages the development of a supportive administrative, regulatory and financial environment.
- Convenes key stakeholders to advance forward-looking housing policy development and facilitate dialogue on affordable housing trends.
VHDA is a self-supporting, not-for-profit organization created by the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1972, to help Virginians attain quality, affordable housing. VHDA provides mortgages, primarily for first-time homebuyers and developers of quality rental housing. We use no state taxpayer dollars, but raise money in the capital markets to fund our loans. We also teach free homeownership classes, and help people with disabilities and the elderly make their homes more livable. VHDA works with lenders, developers, local governments, community service organizations and others to help put quality housing within the reach of every Virginian.
Since our founding, VHDA has committed financing for more than 131,000 single family homes and 96,000 multifamily apartments.