What is the REALTOR® Institute?
- The Graduate REALTOR® Institute (GRI) is an education program and designation sponsored by Virginia Association of REALTORS® (VAR). GRI is nationally recognized by NAR and is one of the most popular designations among REALTORS®. This program focuses on developing and increasing participants’ professionalism and skill level in ways that positively affect their bottom line.
- While licensing courses and most post license education teach you how to manage your risk in the business and complete transactions, GRI provides you with the skills needed to be successful in real estate.
How has the program been redeveloped?
- 14 to 10 courses (two of which will be offered online)
- 8 to 6 hours, with the exception of one course.
- Completion of the GRI will also complete all Post Licensure CE requirements.
- All courses will be provided within a calendar year for members wanting to complete the GRI in 12 months.
- A master calendar of all courses being offered across the state will be maintained online for GRI participants to access.
- Courses will be available at your local associations. Classes will also be hosted at VAR from time to time.
- Online courses will be available for members to take anytime.
- We have also extended the completion deadline for all current students in the program to December 2019. We will work one-on-one with each student to make sure they have all the classes needed for the designation.
What are the GRI Designation requirements?
- To earn the GRI designation in Virginia, you must:
- complete the required coursework within five (5) years.
- receive a passing grade for each course and you may not miss more than 15 minutes of any one module session.
- hold membership in the National Association of REALTORS®.
- complete the GRI designation application and pay the one-time application fee.
- Once you have completed all the steps listed above, you may make use of the GRI designation on business cards, stationary, etc.
I am a current GRI student. Where can I find out which classes I have left to take?
- You can click here to view your GRI Class Summary. This will help you determine what courses you need to complete the curriculum requirements.
I am a current GRI student. Do I get credit for the previous courses I took?
- Yes, the courses from the previous program were evaluated and equivelant course credits were awarded. You can click here to see which courses were transferable.
Where is the GRI course calendar?
- The GRI course calendar is updated weekly on the website. Click here to view the GRI Course Calendar.
Will any of my other designations count towards my GRI?
- The new GRI program has equivalencies for the ABR and SRS as they directly correlate with the RI 504: Working with Buyers and RI 505: Working with Sellers courses. The application for the RI 504 and RI 505 equivalency can be accessed here. There are no equivalencies for other designations or license types.
Where will the GRI courses be held?
- GRI courses will be available for students at various local associations in Virginia.
Will the GRI be offered in the classroom or online?
- The updated GRI will be a hybrid program offering eight courses in the classroom and two courses online.
Will there be CE/PL credit available with the new curriculum?
- Yes, each course will offer either Continuing Education and/or Post Licensure credit. You can see a full list of the courses and what each has been approved for on the course description page.
Do I have to pay any dues after I receive my GRI designation and certificate?
- Once you have paid your graduation fee and received your designation certificate, there are no further fees to pay for the GRI. The GRI is the only designation offered by NAR that does not have annual fees or dues.
Where can I find more information about the GRI?
- Check out the GRI page on the VAR website: http://www.varealtor.com/realtorinstitute. If you have a specific question that you do not see addressed online, contact Cailin Richardson, GRI Program Manager, at email@example.com.